Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Forward Thinking: Music (Fall 2012)

As the big fall releases start to pile up I think, as a means of prepping before the final series of Quarterly Reviews start being compiled and posted before the year end awards are given, it's useful to start looking ahead to what the fall has to offer. As such, welcome to what I hope will be a new series that pops up every few months around Processed Grass where I survey the landscape so to speak. Take a look at what is on the horizon. What releases I will be buzzing about by year's end, what looks interesting, what to monitor. And since 2012 has been such a fantastic year for music I figure that it's best to start there by looking at my five most anticipated releases for the rest of the year.

5. good kid, m.A.A.d city - Kendrick Lamar

Though it seems like this year has been huge for hip-hop, I'm beginning to think that's simply because of how much play TDE artists Schoolboy Q and Ab-Soul have gotten in my imaginary tape deck. Now I should state that, despite being able to recognize his talent and being a huge fan of "Cartoon and Cereal" I have had a bit of a difficult time fully embracing Kendrick Lamar. That said, Lamar has a voice that demands attention, and as the October 2nd release date draws closer my excitement continues to climb.


4. Centipede Hz - Animal Collective

I have a bit of a tenuous relationship with Animal Collective, perhaps perfectly encapsulated in this year's earlier Honeycomb/Gotham EP release. Yet I still anticipate the early September release, the band's follow up to the equally personally frustrating Merriweather Post Pavilion. Like Lamar, I know that with Animal Collective there's a type of prowess that is going on, and as I continue to puzzle out the specifics I find my esteem and appreciation of their music growing with time, and that's generally a mark of greatness.

3. Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumors - Big Boi

Let it be said, I love rumors! Though not too much information has come out about Big Boi's newest album, it's still currently slotted for a release some time in 2012. Been a big year for hip-hop and if it Big Boi's new album is even a fraction as good as his last then 2012 might very well cement itself as the best year since the turn of the millennium.


2. Love This Giant - David Byrne and St. Vincent

After topping my Best Albums list last year and in 2009, I am on board for anything that St. Vincent finds herself involved with and this collaboration doesn't seem like it will disappoint. The lead single is an excellent example in the collision of sounds and lyrics, creating a product that is as unsettling as it is enjoyable. If that's the energy that carries this album, I can't wait to get on board when it drops on September 10th.


1. Cruel Summer - G.O.O.D Music

Realistically, I'm not sure what else could take this spot unless Kanye announces a new album for release by year's end. Though I'm not a fan of the entire G.O.O.D Music roster all of the songs affiliated with the release that have dropped so far have been of such absurdly high quality that I have been basically anticipating this album's release since announcement. Whenever it comes out.

Plenty of other great releases that I'm sure I missed. Let me know what you're looking forward to in the comments section!

Rich

Comments are welcome and, for anyone with a literary mind, I encourage checking out my poetry blog filled with all original works for your reading pleasure.

Also, I am on the old Twitter thing so I guess you can follow me at twitter.com/FLYmeatwad.

And if you want to know what I'm watching, listening to, playing , and reading you can follow my tumblr account!
© 2012 Richard James Thorne

No comments:

Post a Comment